GLOBAL SHUFFLE FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling)

4 posters

Go down

malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Empty Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling)

Post by lilazndude Tue 15 Nov 2011, 14:06

I'm trying to learn this but I gotta say. California has some moves too!

lilazndude
lilazndude
Level 2
Level 2

Battle Character
Name: Turtle
Ability:
malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Beginner5/10malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Empty_bar_bleue  (5/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Empty Re: Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling)

Post by Garry Tue 15 Nov 2011, 14:42

Learn from the masters of hardstyle shuffling - Shifter Hardstyle Prodigy, who appear in Global Shuffle 1. Check out where everybody gets the Malaysian style from - Malaysia Wink

https://www.youtube.com/user/iqalshifter01

[youtube][/youtube]
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Name: Cyclone Garry
Ability:
malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Beginner8/10malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Empty_bar_bleue  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

https://mso1.forumotion.com/t1298-garry-shepherd

Back to top Go down

malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Empty Re: Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling)

Post by Garry Tue 15 Nov 2011, 16:02

We worked together on GS1 for about 2-3 years up until the 2009 crash. Malaysia has / Had the world biggest shuffle scene, with regular shuffle contests in malls and sporting halls everywhere. With cash prizes for contest winners. Shifter were one of the best ever, by far.

They had about 50 active members, with a junior and senior squad. Great people to work with, I enjoyed every moment as we all looked forward to the next contest, which would draw massive crowds.

We include some of the worlds first mobile phone video footage from 2007 in GS1. Technology has always played a central role to shuffling.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Beginner8/10malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Empty_bar_bleue  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jinx346 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 23:58

lilazndude wrote:I'm trying to learn this but I gotta say. California has some moves too!

man lilazndude that looks like he threw in some jumpstyle with his shuffling
Jinx346
Jinx346
Level 4
Level 4

Battle Character
Name: Jinx13
Ability:
malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Beginner5/10malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Empty_bar_bleue  (5/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:41

Yep there's a fair bit of jump in there.

The two styles compliment each other really well. The basic shuffling moves, which come from clogging, focus your feet and body weight on the floor.

That's because the moves came from wandering around in a boat in wooden shoes. The boat rocks in the water and you need to keep both feet on the surface most of the time to stay upright. So you shuffle sideways instead of stepping, and slide your foot instead of lifting.

With jump the emphasis is on LIFTING your legs off the ground. Typically you don't just jump up in the air like a pogo jump move. Instead your upper body stays pretty much at the same height and it's the below waist area that does the work.

You lift your legs, both legs off the ground, then actually force them back down again in time with the music. Aiming to land on the beat.

Your jump can be the first beat, where you lift off the ground and land on the second beat, or reverse it.

Usually jump looks best if you do repeats, say two or more similar jumps in say 4 beats, so it looks obvious that you are repeating the move. This displays your skill, no beginners luck, just experienced control.

So think of jump as the airborne component of your moves. The most spectacular jump moves are done in the air in strict time with the music.

Jump is HARDER than the basic shuffling moves, because it requires much much more strength in your legs to lift your entire body weight off the ground again and again and again...but it's worth it for sure Smile

The other issue is your body often has to be in motion to enable a spin or turn, in the air, because you have no surface to push from, like spining on one foot and using the other foot to push you around or help keep balance.

Like a cat, your muscles need to respond from muscle control alone, in the air for you to change direction.

It's difficult as good jump should be.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jinx346 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 13:03

it is very hard, and incredibly tiring as i understand it
Jinx346
Jinx346
Level 4
Level 4

Battle Character
Name: Jinx13
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by lilazndude Wed 16 Nov 2011, 13:39

Yeah before I saw this "malaysian" shuffling thing happen I was busy watching the actual Malaysians doing hardstyle! Learned alot from watching the video! They added a TON of variety and color into their shuffling really impressive!
lilazndude
lilazndude
Level 2
Level 2

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by lilazndude Wed 16 Nov 2011, 13:42

Btw, the Californian version actually has 2 steps. The beat of the song makes it look like one hop. All they really changed was the degree your feet raises up to.
lilazndude
lilazndude
Level 2
Level 2

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 16 Nov 2011, 14:13

Jinx346 wrote:it is very hard, and incredibly tiring as i understand it

yep, you got it in one. It's really difficult and the skill is making it look effortless, like that 60-80 kgs of body mass just floats off the ground.

There's no way to short cut the style, if you mess up it's pretty obvious Laughing
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 16 Nov 2011, 14:33

Hardstyle music is jump music, that's where shufflers picked it up and yep the malaysians were the first shufflers on the planet to do it. Most of the west were into hard trance, way too fast for shuffling, but hardstyle is excellent.

Before Scooter started shuffling with J'adore Hardcore, they did Jump. Checkout Scooter Jumping All Over The World (2008 I think ?)

[youtube][/youtube]
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by lilazndude Wed 16 Nov 2011, 14:42

I looked this video up from your tags Razz

I still don't get why Jumpstyle gets so much hate, it takes alot of skills to do correctly.
lilazndude
lilazndude
Level 2
Level 2

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 16 Nov 2011, 14:52

It's the way of thinking that only allows one culture to dominate at any given time. Only one leader. It's a power thing. It's the foundation of recent European culture the past 200 years or more.

We had a lot of people surprised you could do both. It's like we're not threatened by jumping it's great. It's also based on a lot of european traditional dance styles. Usually performed in spring/summer outdoors festivals etc.

So a lot of the hate is racial and culturally based. Dance Nazi's don't like anyone except white europeans of specific breeding to do jump. So to see malaysians doing it (very well) who may or may not be christians nazi's hate that as polluting their 'perfect' culture.

So scooter jumping all over the world was as much a political statement and smack in the face to nazi's as much as a really nifty remake of the Status Quo (from memory) 1970's hit rockin all over the world.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by hardcore_shuffler Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:22

i personally liked the video and style,plenty of variations and transitions,i do alot more melaysian when i shuffle to hardstyle more,because i'm kind of bouncey with hip hop and melbourne put together.my personal favorite melaysian shufflers are Hardstyle Republic,those guys have been my idols since like,early highschool and maybe even late middle school:D
hardcore_shuffler
hardcore_shuffler
Level 3
Level 3

Battle Character
Name: Bonez
Ability:
malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Beginner10/10malaysian - Anyone ever seen Malaysian Shuffling (West Coast Shuffling) Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)
Moves / Skills:

http://myspace.com......name:Bonez Isabadass

Back to top Go down

Post by lilazndude Thu 17 Nov 2011, 13:33

Yeah, Malaysian's made a pretty big impact in my shuffling too Very Happy

It really inspires me to be more original in my style, not just imitating others (Though that's also really helpful :3)
lilazndude
lilazndude
Level 2
Level 2

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down