GLOBAL SHUFFLE FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do I start ?

+36
Kilo
MrMatty89
saya
Domicide2010
Johnny
jamie-jeffrey
Kenny
Nephilim
NZshufflaah
devandre
Drev
Vicda
irishloz79
SH. uffle
BavarianShuffle
Dg.J.M
TwilightRaver
KHS(goofy)
DanUKShuffleR
PhiLL
eb45978
MattDotZeb
Garry
yamas
tristan mitch aka tiger
de locke
TwiztidClownz23
Pontus_S
s--tshot
K!ll3r
Jester2290
NewbIe™
Kamikazexkyle
Quintess
Lay
aQiLa
40 posters

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Where do I start ? - Page 7 Empty Where do I start ?

Post by Garry Mon 28 Apr 2008, 20:13

First topic message reminder :

Hi, we're just doing some updating on this thread fixing links etc. So some pics and vids may not display. We'll be done soon, thanks MSO

So you've just found out about the Melbourne Shuffle, and you want to know more. You've come to the right place Smile

The Melbourne Shuffle is an underground dance culture, which began in Melbourne (Australia) in the early 1990's and has now spread around the world.

It's a friendly inclusive culture. All nations, races, languages, abilities, old and young, male and female, are welcome.

There's a lot you can learn, in Shuffle moves, music, fashion, art works, video, meet-ups, crews, teams all associated with the Shuffle.

So please, don't be shy, we welcome people new to the Shuffle, and we're happy to help with whatever we can. So please ask...

Last edited by Garry on Tue 15 Feb 2011, 11:40; edited 9 times in total
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Name: Cyclone Garry
Ability:
Where do I start ? - Page 7 Beginner8/10Where do I start ? - Page 7 Empty_bar_bleue  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

https://mso1.forumotion.com/t1298-garry-shepherd

Back to top Go down

Where do I start ? - Page 7 Empty Re: Where do I start ?

Post by tristan mitch aka tiger Sat 04 Oct 2008, 00:35

hey how's it going tristan, I've been out of
action myself, I've pulled a hamstring muscle in my leg and been on
crutches, painful !! affraid

But at least it's given me a chance to catch up on some reading, got myself a copy of Boewulf, just getting into it.

hehe long time again ^^ im fine thx have not yet figured out what i did, think it may have been that i just was to tired to go full full out hardstyle so i just did it slowly and maybe it that i, keeping my heel down but other than that i have no idea :'D and ill have to wait a bit longer till i get my phats they say that Iceland is going broke or something and i just loned my big bro some money so he could move to sweeden.
hope your leg gets any better soon pulling the hamstring can be a pain affraid

p.s. hows the book ? never read it my self only seen the movie, hope it dosent suck Embarassed

tristan mitch aka tiger
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sat 04 Oct 2008, 13:49

Haven't read the book !!!! shame Wink I'm slowly getting through all the academic introduction, which has all the background, translation notes and historic references, I didn't realise it was so old like 6th century or something. But it looks pretty good.

I've got a contemporary prose translation, so it's an easier read first up, to just get into the story line. I'll get around to the poetic translation after that, they're usually hard, especially in old english, have to scratch my head every second word to figure out what it is.

Yeh tough times at the moment all over the place with the Wall st crash. This is actually what it felt like in 1991/92, really unsettling times, money very tight and you don't know how much badder it'll get.

But on the bright side, this is exactly the environment that the shuffle was created in, weird eh? We ended up thinking, well it's all out of our control, so we'll just enjoy each day as it comes and make the most of it.

Most of us were out of work, had no money, so we just started doing stuff with whatever we had on hand, everybody pitching in with things, all for free, real grass roots sort of thing.

Which is where we took over shut down factories for a weekend to do a party, or meet up in the street or park, everybody just getting together all BYO (bring your own) share when you can, and make the most of things,

Like the frankenstein type monster we made out of rubbish in waste skips. About 30 of us had no money, were bored senseless so we said lets meet at this vacant block of land and build something, until someone tells us to stop.

Where do I start ? - Page 7 Fb-StKilda-times

I filmed a time lapse of the first sunset on super8 film
Where do I start ? - Page 7 Beast-sunset

more of this in the oldskool thread.

https://mso1.forumotion.com/oldskool-f5/so-what-is-oldskool-t2.htm

This was the flyer, we just photocopied a dozen or so to pass around.
Where do I start ? - Page 7 Fb-flyer-a

Where do I start ? - Page 7 Fb-flyer-b

You'll see we even say BYO JUNK !!!

We had no grand plan, it was just an excuse for anyone at a loose end to turn up, most of us didn't know each other, only some of us had meet, but we all got on well and became great friends for years afterwards.

We really surprised ourselves with what we could do in a couple of days with no money. Someone had a welder, someone had a van, someone had a ladder etc, all word of mouth, and we just had mix tapes on a small boom box, that was the sound system.

Where do I start ? - Page 7 Fb-some-more-good-stuff
Some More Good Stuff Garry Shepherd (1992)

So we thought, this is fun, lets do something else, and it started the whole underground shuffle scene in Melbourne. That's where we got the everyone can contribute and every contribution no matter how big or small was appreciated and valued by everyone.

We were all having a tough time, so no one was excluded, and we just wanted to get together and have some fun and forget about the real world for a few hours. Our problems would still be there waiting for us when we got home, so we just shut them out for a while and had fun.

A few years later all the money started rolling again and the commercial parties and clubs took it over and ruined the whole feel, which is why we generally say the oldskool era was over by 1996. The do it yourself for free, freedom thing was gone, and the scene became about rich people getting richer.

Our general feeling at the start was, well we've got nothing to loose, we'll just recycle whatever is laying around, and create something new out of it. Not so much as an environmental thing, but out of shear necessity, because we were all broke. That's when we'd get 10-20 friends together and move into a warehouse to share the rent, and do parties every month or so to try and survive, sitting around old 20 ltr cans burning old pallet wood to stay warm and cook over.

A lot of old office buildings had closed down and thats when we moved into the Melbourne CBD (Central Business District), you could get an old office with 6 months rent free when you moved in, the owners were so desperate, just to make it look like there was activity going on.

We made our own showers with camp shower arrangements, they were an underground show piece on how you got water in and out of the office, because none had running water, you carried it in buckets from the shared toilet sinks. everyone had different styles from very basic to full on glam jobs with doors and things.

You made furniture out of old office things, built lofts out of old office wall material, old doors whatever you could find. We couldn't even afford nails, so we'd pull apart old frames, hammer the nails straight and reuse them. Nothing was wasted, we'd go through industrial waste skips every night to find stuff. Old computers filing cabinets, office desks - I've still got 3 filing cabinets, 2 desks and a couple of chairs from 1991 !!! I've got my computer on one right now as I type this Smile))

This art work below was made out of all recycled stuff found in waste skips, just the paint was new. The Australian rock band Boom Crash Opera commissioned me to do it for their 'Fabulous Beast' tour in 1993. They lived around the corner from the beast sculpture we'd made, and wanted the same 'reclaimed waste' ethic involved for the work, even paid me extra to search waste skips at night to get the stuff. They named their album after the beast and filmed a video clip in front of it. The beast stood there for 9 months !!! We thought it's be pulled down within days by the local council. But it became a tourist attraction, people would ad their own bits to it, nobody stole anything from it or trashed it in anyway, it was like a sacred site.

This pic is from Boom Crash Opera's Coke 'Take 40 Australia' national top 40 TV show special they were doing. I was just finishing off bits in the set dept. That's the TV Soap 'Neighbours' erinsborough high school lockers and sets behind the art works. Neighbours is produced in Melbourne.

Where do I start ? - Page 7 Neighbours-set-2

So who know's what's gonna happen next eh? Could be good Wink

Last edited by Garry on Wed 21 Aug 2013, 11:35; edited 1 time in total

Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Where do I start ? - Page 7 Beginner8/10Where do I start ? - Page 7 Empty_bar_bleue  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Mon 06 Oct 2008, 23:09

geez guys this crash is really hitting Iceland hard, just seen it on the news. Hang in there tristan. These are scary times. But we'll get through it Wink

MSO has regulars from all the countries affected by the Wall St crash, our thoughts and concerns go out to all of you.

You'll find a good stomp every now and then to some oldskool gabba or hardcore will help relieve a bit of the stress, frustration and fear. That is truely what the Shuffle is about, it was our escape from reality during the 1989/90 crash and the years of recession afterwards. It's free, you can do it anywhere, it releases all the crap, you feel great afterwards, and all you need is feet.

But do it in bursts, usually the head would go, like headbanger style to the beat, then suddenly you'd explode for 20 seconds, wait a bit then do it again.

There's more music and free legal downloads at this MSO link

https://mso1.forumotion.com/music-f13/free-to-download-album-links-t121.htm

Ceasefire - Speakerblow

Last edited by Garry on Thu 09 Oct 2008, 13:04; edited 1 time in total
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by eb45978 Wed 08 Oct 2008, 10:47

What are some stretches you would suggest on doing to warm up and down?
eb45978
eb45978
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 08 Oct 2008, 15:57

Hi eb45978, welcome to the forum. good question.

First I need to say I'm not a trained health professional, so take all my advice as that. It's hard to judge what is good for each shuffler, because it depends on your age, gender, body type, general health etc.

So best is to chat with a school gym teacher, sports coach or a nurse/doctor etc about what is best suited to you personally.

THAT SAID

here's some stuff from online which will give you a good start.http://www.mydr.com.au/

http://www.mydr.com.au/default_new.asp?Article=2326

Link to larger pic> https://2img.net/h/i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/cybafaeries/mso/Stretches.jpg

Where do I start ? - Page 7 Stretches2

So put simply, you need to warm up, by low intensity exercise for 2-3 minutes, jogging a bit, like a bit of running man taking it real easy. And generally loosening up your arms, waist and legs for instance by doing the above stretching exercises, slowly and gently. Then you can step up the pace a bit.

SHufflers take special note of the BALLISTIC STRETCHING detailed below. As the title suggests it's what hardstyle shuffling is, it's an intense burst of energy which really punishes your muscles and heart rate etc. You use your energy and muscles like a tennis player or pro swimming, where you go from standing still to suddenly full throttle.

When to stretch.
Important: stretch only when your muscles are warm, as cold muscles are more likely to tear.

Stretching before and after exercise. A light static stretching routine (stretching a muscle and holding it in this position without discomfort for 10-30 seconds) can be performed at the end of a warm-up, before undertaking more vigorous activity. Be sure to stretch each of the muscle groups you will be using in your chosen activity 2 to 3 times.

An ideal time to do most of your static stretching is after exercise, that is, immediately after your post-exercise cool-down. Allow around 5 to 10 minutes to stretch after exercise, and concentrate on the muscles that you have just exercised. Use the static stretches illustrated below as a guide. Stretching at this time helps restore your muscles to their resting length and prepare them for your next exercise session.

Dedicated stretching. Including a dedicated stretching routine (for 15 to 20 minutes and unrelated to an exercise session) in your exercise programme 2 or 3 times a week will be an additional help to maintaining your flexibility. For example, attending a yoga class weekly is an enjoyable way to contribute to the flexibility part of your fitness programme.

Warming up for a dedicated stretching session might involve 2 to 3 minutes of jogging or doing your favourite exercise at low intensity for 5 minutes. Raising a light sweat will indicate warming of your muscle tissue.

How to stretch
Static stretching. Static stretching is considered the safest method of stretching. (See the sample static stretching routine illustrated below.) A static stretch should be held for 10 to 30 seconds at a point where you can feel the stretch but do not experience any discomfort. If you feel discomfort, ease back on the stretch. Remember not to bounce when holding the stretch.

Dynamic or ballistic stretching. These types of stretching require instruction from a qualified fitness instructor or sports coach, and may sometimes replace static stretches as part of a warm-up for strong activity.

For example, if your chosen activity requires sudden bursts of power, such as jumping or sudden acceleration, then specific ballistic stretches under the guidance of a qualified sports coach may be needed following your warm-up and before the activity.

Dynamic stretches involve muscle movements that move a joint through the full range of movement that will be required in your chosen sport or activity. Dynamic stretches may be used in preparation for high-level exercise, such as competitive tennis or swimming.

Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) stretching. PNF stretching involves a stretch—contract—relax—stretch cycle whereby the passive stretching of a muscle is enhanced by an intervening isometric contraction of that muscle followed by brief relaxation and a further passive stretch. First the muscle group is passively stretched — this is stretching where you hold your body in the stretch position with the help of a partner or another part of your body or some equipment, e.g. a towel. The muscle is then contracted isometrically — that is, against resistance for about 10 to 15 seconds — then relaxed for 2 to 3 seconds and then passively stretched a bit further than the original passive stretch. This process is usually repeated several times.

The technique of PNF stretching was first developed as a muscle therapy but is now used by athletes as a means of enhancing flexibility. PNF stretching is often used by osteopaths and physiotherapists.

Stretching as therapy. Various stretches may be prescribed or performed by a physiotherapist or other qualified health professional as part of treatment for muscle or joint injuries. The exercises illustrated here are not designed for therapeutic purposes and should not be used in place of prescribed therapeutic stretches.

More of this is found at >>
http://www.mydr.com.au/default_new.asp?Article=2326
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by tristan mitch aka tiger Wed 15 Oct 2008, 02:44

Garry wrote:geez guys this crash is really hitting Iceland hard, just seen it on the news. Hang in there tristan. These are scary times. But we'll get through it Wink

MSO has regulars from all the countries affected by the Wall St crash, our thoughts and concerns go out to all of you.

You'll find a good stomp every now and then to some oldskool gabba or hardcore will help relieve a bit of the stress, frustration and fear. That is truely what the Shuffle is about, it was our escape from reality during the 1989/90 crash and the years of recession afterwards. It's free, you can do it anywhere, it releases all the crap, you feel great afterwards, and all you need is feet.

But do it in bursts, usually the head would go, like headbanger style to the beat, then suddenly you'd explode for 20 seconds, wait a bit then do it again.

ill be alright i think, hope you guys survive. Thx for the link ill be checking it out been needing some new beats the stuff i got is getting boring and yeah ive been having those burst of energy hehe my fists are all swollen after yesterday i finally got my brothers old room and put up my boxing bag Twisted Evil there si also much more room to shuffle
but got some stuff to take care of ill comment more later
tristan mitch aka tiger
tristan mitch aka tiger
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by PhiLL Wed 15 Oct 2008, 10:11

Nice tutorial =]
PhiLL
PhiLL
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by PhiLL Wed 15 Oct 2008, 11:05

I just have one question:
What are phats made of?
PhiLL
PhiLL
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by de locke Wed 15 Oct 2008, 17:16

The best phats are made out of denim imo but other materials are also used.
de locke
de locke
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 15 Oct 2008, 18:37

Yep, denim's good, also any cotton based material, a light cotton if you're in a hot climate. 100%Synthetics tend to cling too much, but cotton/synthetic blends can work.

Mainly something that breathes to keep the sweating down, and something with a bit of weight to it to hold it's shape.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 15 Oct 2008, 18:39

tristan mitch aka tiger wrote:
Garry wrote:geez guys this crash is really hitting Iceland hard, just seen it on the news. Hang in there tristan. These are scary times. But we'll get through it Wink

ill be alright i think, hope you guys survive. Thx for the link ill be checking it out been needing some new beats the stuff i got is getting boring and yeah ive been having those burst of energy hehe my fists are all swollen after yesterday i finally got my brothers old room and put up my boxing bag Twisted Evil there si also much more room to shuffle
but got some stuff to take care of ill comment more later

good to hear tristan, keep in touch.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by PhiLL Thu 16 Oct 2008, 10:12

Thx men
PhiLL
PhiLL
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Thu 16 Oct 2008, 20:14

So PhiLL, what part of brasil do you come from, in relation to Sao Paulo ?
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by PhiLL Fri 17 Oct 2008, 02:33

I wanted to live in sao paulo, but I live too far away in São Luís - MA, it´s in the northeast of the country =/

Where do I start ? - Page 7 Mapadobrasil4hb8
PhiLL
PhiLL
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri 17 Oct 2008, 13:49

woa yeh a fair way up north. Nice looking place though, just been checking it out on google satellite, I like living close to the sea, I kinda loose my bearings inland.

So what's it like there, any other shufflers around town ?
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by PhiLL Sat 18 Oct 2008, 02:49

Garry wrote:woa yeh a fair way up north. Nice looking place though, just been checking it out on google satellite, I like living close to the sea, I kinda loose my bearings inland.

So what's it like there, any other shufflers around town ?

osakoaksokasko, sorry, but I laugh that question because I live where I
think only my friends and me know "melbourne shuffle", but only me wanted
to learn to dance *-*.
I wanna post some videos, but just at home or perhaps in empty street places =].
Now, about the city...hmm....
Despite
the violence, I think this is a good place to live, the night in the
center, people of all styles are to do small shows and meet friends...

and about the city where you live, how is it?
PhiLL
PhiLL
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by de locke Sat 18 Oct 2008, 13:39

Melbourne is awesome PhiLL!! Best city in the world Razz
de locke
de locke
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sat 18 Oct 2008, 14:30

haha, now we'll have to tell him the truth.

I've just moved out of the CBD (central business district ) after living there for 20 years, mainly because of the violence. People are bashed by gangs every weekend. It's just mobs of drunks mostly in their 20's who beat up people for fun. Like 12 guys bashing 1 !!

This is at a King Street Club - even the club security guards bash people.

Where do I start ? - Page 7 0607025500

Where do I start ? - Page 7 0607029300

This is at the main Flinders Street railway Station, all out in the open even caught on security video.
Where do I start ? - Page 7 0590559500

They're guttless and there's not enough police to stop them. People got stabbed on the street outside my front door all the time. I was 7 floors up so you felt safe. But one guy got stabbed at the McDonalds next to where I lived. some guy pushed in front of someone on the queue waiting for a big mac, and so this other guy stabbed him for pushing in. This by the way being where the 140 Police go to get their big macs, because the central city police station is just around the corner. My studio overlooked the police station and everyhour there were drug dealers and drunks being dragged into the cells down stairs. day and night for the past 5 years urrggghh I'd had enough.

This guy has been dragged out of the Lounge, once the home of Switch/Filter, the greatest shuffle club in Melbourne which ran for about 12 years. The phats videos have the shufflers on the same stage for a fashion show. It was a great safe place, but now - just drunk yobs fighting.
Where do I start ? - Page 7 0607030600

nasty place, nothing like it was even 5 years ago. Even the top cops are at war with each other over corruption claims, and the real mobs the italian, greek and jewish mafias are at war with each other and the asian tryads, all use clubs to launder money so it affect the shuffle scene. Like it's been mob wars the past 5 years, rival gangs doing drive by shooting into pizza shops, and revenge killings, 29 mob murders or something...

This is the top cop of the Police Union 'Mullet' in court for corruption hearings and someone's put 'dead fish' posters everywhere, his nick name is 'fish' The number 2 head cop Ashby has been suspended waiting for trial, over allegations of a cover up in a gangland murder case.

Where do I start ? - Page 7 0575020400

Our 'fearless' leader of the state government, the hopeless bumbling John Brumby
Where do I start ? - Page 7 Topth_brumby-90x60

who is usually confronted with crowds of protesters wanting him sacked - he's turning our bay into a toxic waste dump, grrrrr
Where do I start ? - Page 7 0587531900

Where do I start ? - Page 7 0587531600

but apart from that it's great Laughing

na, but it's a real pity whats happened the past few years, it's really destroyed it. The oldskool was safe from the violence, all the other stuff went on, but we had security to keep these drunken yobs out. We didn't want any of that crap in our parties. That's why the venues were secret. We didn't want these hoons knowing about it. That was the whole point of being underground. You didn't want to attract the 'wrong sort' of attention.

But I'm living half my life online now, so I didn't need to be in the city, so I've moved to the hills about an hour out of the city,

It's all sub tropical rainforest area, much better Smile

Last edited by Garry on Sun 19 Oct 2008, 11:59; edited 9 times in total
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by PhiLL Sun 19 Oct 2008, 07:29

O.O
I could not imagine such violence in just one place, yesterday I went to
the center ... man, I saw many people of various styles as emos, punks,
Rockers ...
I have fun =].
It is a pity you live in a place so dangerous = /.
people should be more educated and stop being so violent
PhiLL
PhiLL
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sun 19 Oct 2008, 11:03

Yeh it's a real shame, it was never like this before, or maybe 30 years ago when skinheads (neo nazis) used to bash hippies for sport. The way they fixed that was to ban all alcohol drinking from the city streets, even at New Years eve, and it stopped.

That was what it was like in the 1990's it was a safe happy place.

So now they're talking about closing the clubs earlier, at the moment, people can drink all night until 7am and they just roam around the streets bored going from club to club looking for fights.

So a lot of non violent people don't go to town now, it's just the violent ones. Like one poor guy was kicked to death by 2 thugs in front of QBH a big commercial club with over 2000 people, sometimes the actual club security do it. They should just be shut down, BUT they obviously have corrupt politicians on the payroll, so they stay open.

So poor old Melbourne is going through some changes. But it'll get better.

The shuffle scene here is really getting bigger now.

The older commercial clubber generation who are in their mid 20's are fading away fast, most of the big commercial shuffle clubs of 5 years ago Pharmacy, 3D, PHD, Hard Kandy etc have all but disappeared, they'll maybe do one or 2 nights a year if that. , and a new generation is taking over.

Because the new shufflers are under 18, and they're too young to go to clubs, they meet up where they live, which is usually a long way from the city, and much safer.

So instead of club based shuffling, it happens in local malls, empty carparks, at school where ever you want. You get to meet other shufflers in your neighbourhood, it's safe, friendly and a lot of fun, which is what shuffling is supposed to be about.

That's why a lot of shufflers don't like the aggression of hip-hop culture, violent lyrics, battles etc. even if they're done as 'sort of fun', in melbourne we know it gets out of hand and becomes the real thing very quickly, it's not a video clip or movie. When we get into something in Melbourne, we go all they way, we don't hold back.

So we avoid trouble before it starts. That's part of the inclusive culture we have, everybody is welcome - except the violence and dance nazi's of course.

That way nobody is better or worse than someone else, everyone can contribute. There's no dance nazi's telling shufflers, they can dance like this way or that way.

It's a little different to the PLUR (Peace Love Understanding Respect) mantra, we're not all stoned hippy's sitting around drinking tea. We're passionate and energetic, we speak our minds bluntly, everyone has an opinion Laughing but we also go out of our way to be friendly, and everyone tries to make the scene work for the greater good of everybody.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by PhiLL Sun 19 Oct 2008, 12:22

i saw hippies, punks, emos, people who likes pagode, raggae and heavy metal together...i´d be great there where o live too, i am sure =],
but we have to live with people whose only purpose is to violence =/...
good luck to you.
I hope it happens fine there and all that change completely to better Smile .
PhiLL
PhiLL
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sun 19 Oct 2008, 12:46

Yeah the underground is cool, like we're not into violence etc, got better things to do. Very Happy The city had a really good underground scene for years, but it's gone now. So we've all just moved out to more peaceful areas.

This has all just happened in the past 2-3 years, it's been a really big change, it's really the begining of a whole new underground scene in Melbourne. I find it quite exciting.

It's like we're at ground zero, we can make the new scene what ever we want it to be. So it's nice to see shufflers saying No Fights in their publicity for meet-ups etc. It's a great start to say no to bad crap, that way people who want to fight can go somewhere else, and people who want to be friendly can go to the shuffle events.

One great thing now is, it's so much easier to communicate with the underground online. Before you had to physically be in town to find out whats going on, but now it's simple.

So yep change is certainly coming, I look forward to it. And it's like Shufflers themselves can do it, they don't have to wait until the official Melbourne underground says lets do this or that. local shufflers can work it out for themselves, for their part of the world.

They can create their own new underground right where they live, and really make it their's, do it how ever they want it.

I'm really looking forward to the future, it's a buzz Very Happy
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sun 19 Oct 2008, 13:43

I should add, it's like you guys in São Luís can create your own underground scene. Sounds like you're there already.

The shuffle underground doesn't only include dancers. It's more about the same attitude, than everyone doing the same things.

Like we did these pirate TV broadcasts with the same underground attitude as dancers did to the shuffle, especially when we showed the shuffle footage on TV.

We were two seperate groups that found a common attitude and we just merged together at the edges where we connected. It was like a network of underground scenes all who had different specialist activities, but the same attitude.

There were people like me who was involved in the tech broadcast scene and the dance scene, where I worked as a musician. So I already had a connection and others found their connections, even lawyers at some stages who helped out with broadcast permits etc.

We often called it the Fabulous Beast, like we were amazed at what we could do, like you mention punks, emo's hippies, are all underground scenes with the same attitude.

The attitude is CREATIVE FREEDOM it's a long tradition in Melbourne, mainly because of the cultural diversity. People wanted the freedom to both speak their native language and create in it too. And to do it boldly and openly in a supportive scene. So the underground became a great place for that.

It was always a buzz to see what people would come up with, because they were so different to you, not because they were the same as you. But they were really like you anyway Laughing it's a fabulous paradox, We loved it, it didn't make sense, but it did.

So some people might not wanna dance, but they're cool with dancing, it's not like they're dance nazis or something. So they connect from a different angle, like fashion design, or artists, or technicians, underground film makers, musicians, bands, or people who just like hanging out with any of those just mentioned .

And the networks overlap, all part of the same underground. We loved the diversity, you'd have a casual meet-up and you never knew who'd you'd bump into, it was like a gathering of the clans.

In Commerce House where I lived 1990-96, there were these role playing gamers on the 3rd floor and they had RPG's 7 days a week.

On Monday nights from sunset the Vampyre gamers would do a full on free form game in full costume and take over the whole building as a fantasy set. Fake blood, swords, capes fangs, people screaming as they ran down the corridore - a great way to introduce new friends to the underground, was invite them to your studio ona Monday night. The gamers loved an audience too, so they'd really let fly Laughing Sometimes other gamer clans would come too, like the werewolf game meeting the vampyres, doing bargining for gamers souls in the corrodore Laughing

But the rest of us loved it to even though we weren't gamers. It just looked like a hell of a lot of fun, so, we were into that Wink

Here's the actual building, and you'll get a glimpse of part of my studio that I lived in for years as I pack up. The building was to be redeveloped, we all got 30 days to move out. This is the last footage of it as it was in the oldskool days.

Commerce House 1996

So each network gets to be exactly like they wanna be, no compromise, no holding back, and the 'other guys' in other networks become friends rather than the competition. So you can be an underground scene of just 10 people but you link in with the broader underground of hundreds, then just add the 6000 or so towns that regularly visit MSO...

So...it can be pretty big, but still underground.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by PhiLL Mon 20 Oct 2008, 11:06

I would like to show you the city (specifically the center) and the people, but unfortunately my camera was stolen x.x
PhiLL
PhiLL
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Tue 21 Oct 2008, 12:08

sad to hear about your camera. Love to see some shots
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by DanUKShuffleR Wed 22 Oct 2008, 06:34

Hi
Im new to the melbourne shuffle but love the style its briliant and i want to learn it.
I m also from the uk and not many people now about this type of style well basicly no one and i would like to make it bigger in the uk. Ive just started learning like 3 days ago using the tutorials on here and they are very helpful but im realy stugling with the shuffle im keep on losing my balance and and just finding it hard to do it fluently.
I cant do it fast at all only slow and i know it takes ages to get good but i feel like im not getting anywhere.
Im not the best with my feet though .ive had a problem called hercules which is to do with short tendons in ur leg but its better now im also very tall for my age and a good rugby player becuase i have a lot of strength and im fast but im not to lite on my feet for some reason and im not fat .lol.
Im just wondering is it a thing which u can ever can do or u cant, or can anyone do with a lot of pratice.
DanUKShuffleR
DanUKShuffleR
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicda Wed 22 Oct 2008, 07:31

Dude, I felt the same way when I started. Im not that great, but it has become much more fluent to me now. Just keep practicing and you'll get it.
Vicda
Vicda
Level 1
Level 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next