GLOBAL SHUFFLE FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to prepare for a dance competition?

3 posters

Go down

How to prepare for a dance competition? Empty How to prepare for a dance competition?

Post by StarkkShuffler Sat 16 Feb 2013, 19:15

Okay so I got into this dancing competition with lots of opportunities and prizes if I win. They said I passed the audition with my shuffling but I'd have to incorporate more dance styles and choreography into my routine. I can pop a little, does that really count as a style? I can also moon walk. I'm feeling like a good Hardstyle republic song should do the job for the music.

Just wanted some tips on how to prepare for this competition it's on March 2nd so I have about 2 weeks to prepare.

It's so amazing because if I win this my dreams will come true and all these opportunities will come true.

The prizes include : Free professional photoshoot, video interview, performance opportunities and more.

So this means alot to me and I want to know if I can prepare in that little time frame, thanks again for your support guys!

StarkkShuffler
StarkkShuffler
Pro
Pro

Battle Character
Name: EHA//Starkk
Ability:
How to prepare for a dance competition? Beginner6/10How to prepare for a dance competition? Empty_bar_bleue  (6/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

How to prepare for a dance competition? Empty Re: How to prepare for a dance competition?

Post by Czarina Sun 17 Feb 2013, 05:14

There's usually a big difference between dancing for yourself and dancing for an audience. For an audience, your moves have to be bigger and more exaggerated so the judges can see what you're doing clearly.
Keeping that in mind, you're probably going to need to choreograph all or most of your performance. This is how your personality and style will be presented so be yourself and make it personalized to you. If you've never done choreo before I'd recommend starting with a good song and building everything around that. You want to be comfortable and confident with your choreo walking out onto the stage, and the rest will attend to itself.

Good luck! Smile
Czarina
Czarina
Level 1
Level 1

Battle Character
Name: Czarina
Ability:
How to prepare for a dance competition? Beginner7/10How to prepare for a dance competition? Empty_bar_bleue  (7/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

How to prepare for a dance competition? Empty Re: How to prepare for a dance competition?

Post by Garry Sun 17 Feb 2013, 10:25

Unless you've done a lot of hip-hop and do it like TV dance comps, you may find that shuffling isn't enough.

A lot of dance comps just want 'party tricks' , those flashy dance moves that impress everyone immediately, but don't really mean much in judging a dance routine. So evaluate the competition to see what sort of styles they are after, I'm guessing it's Step Up and Glee type dance, shuffling is still an outsider in the broader dancer circles, and many judges have no clue how to evaluate it, so they just make it a minor part of the comp and stick to the mainstream movie/MTV dance styles for the bulk of the score.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Name: Cyclone Garry
Ability:
How to prepare for a dance competition? Beginner8/10How to prepare for a dance competition? Empty_bar_bleue  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

https://mso1.forumotion.com/t1298-garry-shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down