GLOBAL SHUFFLE FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could use some help/advice

4 posters

Go down

Could use some help/advice Empty Could use some help/advice

Post by Density Tue 13 Mar 2012, 01:02

A detailed responce would be highy appreciated!

So I've been shuffling for about 1-3 weeks now, I practice a lot and 2 friends who used to shuffle are amazed at how good I've gotten.

I can do the T-step, running man, and some kicks.

My problem is I have no variety. I have no style, and I don't know how to express the moods I'd like to.
figured I'd start with spins since I'm not too into the look of glides, but I'm totally lost on how to spin, other than you do it on the front part of your foot.
I've tried some video tutorials but none that I've found have helped as they don't even desribe what it is that they're doing, they just demonstrate, and that's not the kind of learner I am...

Any help on how to spin, or how I can develop my own style, or what I can add/learn to help find it would be amazingly useful. Smile
Density
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Could use some help/advice Empty Re: Could use some help/advice

Post by Adamc96 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 03:53

After you practice a little more, you will get a style Wink And to a good spin, i onyl suggest you to practice a lot. Find your "good" foot on you can spin better, and try to do it. At the first just try to do 720 degree without fail, and then add a special kick or anything else, what will make your spin unique. And here you already have a style Wink. I hope it helped.

ps. And please change you r avatar, it's too big Very Happy
Adamc96
Adamc96
Level 2
Level 2

Battle Character
Name: Xenon
Ability:
Could use some help/advice Beginner5/10Could use some help/advice Empty_bar_bleue  (5/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Czarina Tue 13 Mar 2012, 06:33

I can't give a detailed response on developing a style because it's just something that occurs naturally over time, but I can give you some help on spins.

The key to spins is momentum. There are two ways I generally use to build up quick momentum to go into a spin. You can either use your arms or your free leg, or both if you want a bigger spin. I think it'll be easier to start with arms though. Either way, the concept is the same.

First, you wind up in the direction opposite of the direction you want to spin. Basically, the more you wind up the more powerful your spin will be. You might want to play around with direction to see which way is easier.

Second, now that you've wound up, you want to unwind and throw your arms outward. To practice this just stand in place with your arms out from your sides (so you look like a big T) and twist your torso from side to side. As you do this harder you should be able to feel the momentum keeping your arms away from you. This is what will make you spin.

Now that you've unwound you'll be spinning, but if you want to keep going all you have to do is bring your arms into you and you'll get a little more momentum. After that you can just switch your feet to either stop of keep spinning.

If you want more of a visual representation for all of this just look at ballerina spins and you'll see all the concepts I'm talking about here.

So yea try this out, play with it a little (this is freestyle after all), practice, and enjoy Smile
Czarina
Czarina
Level 1
Level 1

Battle Character
Name: Czarina
Ability:
Could use some help/advice Beginner7/10Could use some help/advice Empty_bar_bleue  (7/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:53

Density, the first thing you learn with shuffling is self discipline. Nobody forces you to shuffle, it takes practice, months and years of dedicated practice.

It's a skill and it's hard and you sound like you're just lazy whinging after just a few weeks.

I think you'd be better off doing something else other than dance, something easier with no physical demands, you don't sound like you have much desire to be physically active.

All these questions are covered in our tutorials, which you clearly haven't bothered to read and you just want someone else to do your homework and make it easier for you ...

I'll give you a study break of 6 months from the forum. Do your homework and when you can show us that you're a dedicated shuffler, email me at gs@globalshuffle.com and we'll consider you rejoining the forum as a junior peer.

---- That's Good advice, from Adam96 and Czarina who have commented too Smile new readers will note the word Practice mentioned a lot on this forum

Last edited by Garry on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 20:10; edited 1 time in total
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Name: Cyclone Garry
Ability:
Could use some help/advice Beginner8/10Could use some help/advice Empty_bar_bleue  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

https://mso1.forumotion.com/t1298-garry-shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 14 Mar 2012, 12:31

Here's some good advice for new members

If you've just found out about the shuffle and just joined the forum a few weeks ago

READ THIS it's on the home page of the forum at the top
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://mso1.forumotion.com/

ABOUT US: This is mainly a proshuffle forum run much the same way as masterclass dance training and art studio practice. We encourage and provide space for those wanting to develop their shuffle arts in a professional environment. Studio owners also have private chat zones which will only appear to zone members. Typically private chat zones relate to business confidentiality issues, especially with movie production and contract requirements. These can be private contracts or related to Global Shuffle production. GS2 is now in production, completion planned end of 2012 for 2013 release. So please don't be offended if we have to refrain from chat about certain topics, purely for business reasons as Members are generally engaged in professional shuffling.

So please remember to do your homework on this forum before you post. You will be treated as though you already have and are well up to speed with the rest of us. Otherwise please post in the beginner sections, after you've read our tutorials which will have all your basic questions answered for you. Then you'll be more competent with your shuffle arts and be able to join the proshuffle community as a junior peer (JP)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're happy to give tips, but we're all really busy, this is my job and the job of a lot of others on this forum, this is our work place, so please don't waste our time because you've been lazy, and yes we can tell when you're just lazy, we've seen it all before over and over.

We won't do your work for you, if you don't already have the self disicipline to get yourself moving, then you will NOT FIT IN HERE, this is a prolevel, and we focus on advanced and master class levels preparing for employment and developing our careers in a brutally competitive industry. And time is not on our side, expect your pro dance career to be over before you reach 30 years of age, and any work you get after that is a dream. It's like pro sport. You get maybe 5 years to do everything you can at an elite level, then it's over. After your prodance career You have to do less physically demanding activity in related fields of dance work to have a job - and those fields are even more competitive all with highly motivated and skilled dancers after the few vacancies that come up.

This is not boot camp, you're in the wrong place and not ready for the demands of this forum.

If you are not a member, You can still learn all this stuff for free from this forum, in your time at your own pace. take as long as you want, then think about coming back or joining.

This isn't a game, it's the real world with real world consequences, and we'll keep reminding you of that. But we don't mind doing that and offering tips. If we didn't want to do that, this forum would not exist.

Last edited by Garry on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 20:16; edited 1 time in total
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Could use some help/advice Beginner8/10Could use some help/advice Empty_bar_bleue  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 14 Mar 2012, 17:04

So if you are a beginner, please feel free to ask questions, but go through the tutorials first.

It can take months, but it's okay to ask questions about the tutorials, but do it in the tutorial threads there's plenty of them and plenty of great tips and remarks already posted.

Starting up a new thread (this one) and requesting 'A detailed responce' for personal attention shortly after walking through the door on this forum, and making offensive remarks (now removed) about other members english, when it's their second or third language from a non english speaking country and refusing to take down an oversized avatar (now removed) all in your first few days like Density has done, then sending me lots of abusive private emails about getting a warning, won't help you, at all...Practice will and always does Laughing
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Thu 15 Mar 2012, 12:58

The thing we teach here is creativity. Learning these basic principles rather than just imitating them gives you the tools to be creative.

One of the first things you experience is the joy of discovery, and if you like it you want more.

Most people on this forum already know this, they can't wait to experience more, it's a passion.

If shuffling is a chore to you ... then don't shuffle. This is not school, you do not have to learn it to pass go and collct $200. Doing it is it's own reward.

Only do it when you want to. Make it a fun part of your life. If you want to turn that into a career, things will change just as it does with anyone and a career.

So when starting ONLY SHUFFLE WHEN IT"S FUN ! Be creative with your shuffling, play around with it, enjoy.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down