GLOBAL SHUFFLE FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where do I start ?

+36
Kilo
MrMatty89
saya
Domicide2010
Johnny
jamie-jeffrey
Kenny
Nephilim
NZshufflaah
devandre
Drev
Vicda
irishloz79
SH. uffle
BavarianShuffle
Dg.J.M
TwilightRaver
KHS(goofy)
DanUKShuffleR
PhiLL
eb45978
MattDotZeb
Garry
yamas
tristan mitch aka tiger
de locke
TwiztidClownz23
Pontus_S
s--tshot
K!ll3r
Jester2290
NewbIe™
Kamikazexkyle
Quintess
Lay
aQiLa
40 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Where do I start ? - Page 11 Empty Where do I start ?

Post by Garry Mon 28 Apr 2008, 20:13

First topic message reminder :

Hi, we're just doing some updating on this thread fixing links etc. So some pics and vids may not display. We'll be done soon, thanks MSO

So you've just found out about the Melbourne Shuffle, and you want to know more. You've come to the right place Smile

The Melbourne Shuffle is an underground dance culture, which began in Melbourne (Australia) in the early 1990's and has now spread around the world.

It's a friendly inclusive culture. All nations, races, languages, abilities, old and young, male and female, are welcome.

There's a lot you can learn, in Shuffle moves, music, fashion, art works, video, meet-ups, crews, teams all associated with the Shuffle.

So please, don't be shy, we welcome people new to the Shuffle, and we're happy to help with whatever we can. So please ask...

Last edited by Garry on Tue 15 Feb 2011, 11:40; edited 9 times in total
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Name: Cyclone Garry
Ability:
Where do I start ? - Page 11 Beginner8/10Where do I start ? - Page 11 Empty_bar_bleue  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

https://mso1.forumotion.com/t1298-garry-shepherd

Back to top Go down

Where do I start ? - Page 11 Empty Re: Where do I start ?

Post by de locke Sat 03 Jan 2009, 16:31

Domicide2010 wrote:oh sweet. and also is it better to start out slow without music?

sorry fer all the question man...

In my opinion its better to shuffle to music. To me what makes shuffling so impressive is the ability to dance to the beat and stay in time. Hence if you practice with music when you are learning you are more likely to dance in time as you improve. The difference between someone who dances in time with the beat and someone who doesn't is very noticeable.

de locke
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Domicide2010 Sun 11 Jan 2009, 20:45

Thanks de locke

im just starting to get it down and i'm decent at everything except the running man it's easy but just goin faster is weird cause it doesnt look/feel like im doin it right. any tips de locke?

Domicide2010
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

http://www.myspace.com/domicide92

Back to top Go down

Post by de locke Fri 16 Jan 2009, 19:37

haha, umm I'm not a huge fan of the running man to be honest. Probably best to check out you tube clips Smile

I guess the best thing I can offer you is dancing is personal. If you are finding it difficult to learn the running man then keep trying different things until you come up with something that is comfortable and your own.

At the end of the day you don't want to look like everyone else. Much more fun to have your own style and feel.

Keep at it! Smile
de locke
de locke
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 21 Jan 2009, 10:25

Hey guys

I'm from the y (Doncaster to be exact lol)

well a few weeks back i was on youtube doing some video searching and i stumbled accross a few videos of the melb shuffle and thort it looked cool so i did some reading about it and watched a few video tutorials on the basics and i just cant seem to get used to it lol.

i've spoke to a few people i know and they said its cos i cant dance lol, but thats not true cos i can do street dancing and have been for a fair few years now but i would like a make my dance skills better if you know what i mean,and hopefully i could teach some of the others at the place i got to and maybe help spread this great dance art across the uk lol, and i was wondering if you have any tips for me regarding the shuffle or any links to some good video tutorials .

i've noticed the shuffling part of this is quite similar to Crip Walking aswell....
so would it be good for me to practice Crip Walking aswell as the melb shuffle or not?

Kenny!
Kenny
Kenny
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 21 Jan 2009, 12:42

Hi Kenny, welcome to MSO.

Nar forget Crip Walk, it's based on making fun of people with physical disabilities (crip=cripple) which might be fun to some people but it's not an attitude promoted by shufflers. Like most of the hip-hop genre stuff, that stuff just doesn't cut it these days - calling girls bitches, mutha fucka's and whores etc.

But go ahead if you want to [we'll still talk to you Wink ], it's just not part of Shuffle culture, and won't help your shuffling. Shuffling has a lot more discipline involved, as you're finding out Very Happy

Part of the beauty of shuffling is that it looks simple enough to do, but is really pretty complicated.

If you've had street dance experience, you'll be able to shuffle.

First thing to get past is, you need to dance to the beat in Shuffling. Most street dance hip-hop/bboying etc isn't danced to the beat, it's more gymnastics based. The music is more like background atmosphere to the stunts/tricks/moves. It's still very impressive, but a different style.

Shuffling usually involves clusters of moves in groups of 4. That's generally how the music is structured. So you might have 8 beats to a music loop, and you change the steps on every 4 or 8 beats for instance.

Dancing to the beat gives the power to Shuffling. Like stomping your foot in time with the kick and bass, and doing other bits, sideways shuffling etc on the off beat.

Check out the range of MSO tutorials - links in the side bar of the main site and work through them. I've just got some new Shuffle Practice Music mixes online too.

http://melbourneshuffleoldskool.blogspot.com/search/label/Shuffle%20Practice

They're designed to work different parts of your body to strengthen and make your muscles flexable for shuffling. The music's a lot easier going than hardstyle, so you don't pull muscles etc while practicing and learning.

Let us know how you go.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Where do I start ? - Page 11 Beginner8/10Where do I start ? - Page 11 Empty_bar_bleue  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 22 Jan 2009, 05:58

So basically your saying go threw the video's, And get my muscles used to the shuffle movements?

(like learning a new routine etc...?)
Kenny
Kenny
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Thu 22 Jan 2009, 10:14

Yep, you got it Smile It's a muscle memory thing. Your muscles need to learn the new moves. Some will be easy, others will take more time depending on what other dance moves you know.

But take it easy, gradually build up the strength. If you go too hard too soon, you'll damage muscles, and that's painful.

This is just training. So take a break when you feel your muscles getting tired or sore, give them time to recover and do some more the next day or something.

You probably already know, but for other readers, remember you may feel fine practicing today, but the soreness will start the day after. So take care of your muscles, do some stretching, loosen up before you start and gradually pick up the pace.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Domicide2010 Sun 25 Jan 2009, 09:53

haha i feel ya de locke

well besides what i've seen on youtube about the different moves in the shuffle, are there any other moves that have been used but not shown in these videos? if so, what are they?
Domicide2010
Domicide2010
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

http://www.myspace.com/domicide92

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sun 25 Jan 2009, 13:44

Hi Domicide2010, yep there's plenty more moves but... Wink

Basically individual oldskool shufflers had their own style. So there were as many styles as there were shufflers. The emphasis was everyone being different, not everyone being the same.

That's the fundmental difference between shuffling and almost all other dance styles. To dance sports people Shuffling is simply anarchy because it doesn't follow strict step rules.

Anarchy is not the best description for this because shufflers aren't rebelling against anything or trying to over throw social order etc. Shufflers are just being creative. They're just doing something different.

The Shufflers challenge is to find a new move to include in their shuffling style.

Style in Shuffling terms, is a collection of moves that you use. So that can include running man, moon walk, spins, kicks, classic shuffle, celtic dance moves etc etc.

That collection becomes what professional dancers call a dance vocabulary. Exactly like a speach vocabulary - how many words you know.

So if you only know running man, spin and kick, it's like you only know 3 words. And after 10 minutes you get really bored just doing the same thing over and over.

Style is how you combine these 3 moves, what sequence you use them and how well you execute the move.

yes yes get on with it garry I hear everyone say Very Happy WHAT ARE the other moves ?

The other moves can be anything you want. It's up to you. - That's also melbourne underground's way of saying you have to work at it. Wink

A common saying in the oldskool is 'We won't do your work for you' It's part of shuffle philosophy, to encourage a person to be creative instead of imitating. There's no Shuffle police to say what you do is wrong or right. The point is to create, not imitate.

The original shufflers were artists (all sorts of arts) and creativity is at the heart of art. So we didn't enjoy copying others, we prefered to create new things. But when we were beginners of course it was ok to copy others.

That's all easy to say if you are an artist Very Happy.

It was also easy to say when you could walk into any oldskool shuffle party in Melbourne 5 nights a week for years and see 300 people shuffling. Lots of ideas everywhere for beginners and advanced shufflers everywhere they looked.

But of course those days ended a long time ago. Most of the moves have now been forgotten. But many of them are on video. Most of them shot by me.

I'm searching through 100's of hours of footage I've shot, to find good examples of these other moves and styles.

Good examples is the key problem. Most of the shuffling happened in dance parties, which were dark and difficult to see in - on purpose.

We didn't do shuffling in daytime in a carpark, bedroom, mall etc. That's a new youtube version of shuffling - which is great btw. Oldskoolers have no problem with it. It's exactly what we mean by being creative.

Most of the oldskool shuffle moves are hard to see on video because...

1. It's dark, with just occasional flashes of light.
2. The crowds obscure the lower part of the body so you can't see the feet - even in broad daylight.
3. If a shuffler was too close to the camera, you could only see the top or bottom of a shuffler - oldskooler used a lot of arm moves too, not just feet.

So very often I'm really happy if I can find 10 seconds of shuffling, like the earliest known shuffle footage. We only get to see glimpses of Aslan shuffling, and it's the end of the night around 3am and he's tired, after shuffling for about 6 hours.

I know there are better examples of him shuffling on the night, because I was there saw it and tried to film it, but it was usually too dark and someone else was in the way of the shot.

That makes videos of oldskool shuffling very rare.

From about 1990 to 1995 I was the only person in Melbourne videoing shufflers. Video camera's were very expensive, but as I was a video artist, a good quality video camera was part of my job. So there weren't hundred of people with cams capturing all the shuffle. This was pre digital camera too, and pre internet !! It was the dark ages. lol

Film camera's just couldn't pick up anything, you needed heaps more light - I tried with Super8mm film, you just get darkness and nothing else. I also tried my 35mm SLR stills film camera with very good lens, but you need a long exposure to get the right amount of light and a shuffle is just a blur - it looks 'artistic' but is no use for learning new moves.

Video cams at the time were much more sensitive, I used camera's which could shoot in very low light, but still it wasn't enough to get a clear image in the dark. Now of course we can just use night vision sensors and shoot in total dark.

So the ANSWER Wink yes they are more moves and they're coming...

I'm going through all of the old videos right now, searching for exactly what Shufflers want to see - more moves.

I'll be editing them together so people can learn from them, but that's going to take quite a few months to get through them all.

The really good shots will be included in the MSO dvd documentary GLOBAL SHUFFLE, due for release at the end of this year, and MSO will have youtube versions of it online.

There's more footage than we can fit onto the dvd so heaps of other footage that can't fit onto the dvd will be on youtube as well.

BUT FOR NOW, what I'm doing is posting what I can, for you to start practicing with. It's a MASTER CLASS SERIES

But they won't be the straight forward tutorials like Len Hall etc does. I'll be forcing advanced shufflers to observe and understand what other dancers are doing themselves.

It's like the old saying...If you give a person a fish, they have a meal for 1 day. If you teach a person to fish, they have meals for the rest of their life.

The oldskoolers were skilled artists, they took pride in the quality of their work. We operated like an ancient secretive guild. Only those who could prove themselves worthy of the knowledge, would be allowed to know the secrets.

Our knowledge was our meal ticket, it was our living, we didn't share it lightly. But we were happy to share it with those who demonstrated a genuine desire to learn.

So lets see how you go with 2 oldskool shuffling genre's. These were the sorts of dancing that the original shufflers started with, this is what they learned while growing up, and incorporated into oldskool shuffling.

Electro
http://melbourneshuffleoldskool.blogspot.com/2009/01/shuffle-music-practice-mix-1-yello.html

Rockin
http://melbourneshuffleoldskool.blogspot.com/2009/01/shuffle-music-practice-mix-2-rockin.html
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by de locke Mon 26 Jan 2009, 04:08

Droppin the knowledge bombs Garry! Smile
de locke
de locke
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Mon 26 Jan 2009, 10:49

hehe, yeh I could of just said, 'I've got more moves on tape I'll post them soon'
but where's the fun in that Wink
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by de locke Mon 26 Jan 2009, 17:36

I see that a few people have been asking Garry questions about learning advanced moves within shuffling. I have a little tip that might help you out.

One thing i've noticed over the years is that a lot of shufflers can't dance without actually shuffling. When I started out shuffling, I didn't really have much rhythm. It took me a long time to develop a proper sense of rhythm and to do this I would often put on music and just dance (without shuffling)

By allowing myself to move naturally with the music I developed rhythm as well as new concepts and moves for shuffling.

If you can incorporate your natural dance style into your shuffling then there are honestly ENDLESS moves that you can invent. Don't be restircted by what you see on YouTube. That's not what shuffling is about (at least not to me)

As a shuffler, my style is constantly developing. The way I started out, to the way I dance now is very different. I still have similar step and moves but I always try new things. In fact, every time I dance It's never exactly the same as the time before. I always try something new.

Sorry to ramble, but I hope this can point a few of you in the right direction Smile

Last edited by de locke on Mon 26 Jan 2009, 18:25; edited 1 time in total
de locke
de locke
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Mon 26 Jan 2009, 17:58

good one de locke. thanks for that.

I forget what it's like starting out, it's been such a truely long time ( over 30 years ago hehe) and most of that time I've been working with professional dancers who started when they were 6 years old or something.

So someone just starting shuffling to me, is someone who's been at it for 2-3 years, not days or weeks Wink

So yep I agree, just get your body moving - dance in a private place so you can stuff up a lot, and when you feel ready then do a shuffle vid or dance in public.

A really simple thing you can do even sitting down, is tap your foot. Get your body used to counting the beat 1,2,3,4 etc just while you're listening to your favorite tracks. It gets a body clock ticking inside you.

And then get the rest of your body into the act, tap both feet Wink Do 1 just on the first beat while the other is doing every beat.

For people who have never danced before, try boogie-ing along with Canned Heat, yeh I know, these guys can't dance for nuts, but they give it a shot and get their body boppin along in time with the music and have a great time.

Tap your foot along with the beat for the full 5 minutes as practice. It's harder than you think, just keeping up with the beat of the music.

And it's infectious, I dare you to try and not bop your head once while watching the vid Laughing

Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by devandre Tue 27 Jan 2009, 01:09

Hello! I'm an 18 yr old girl from Singapore and I came across this forum while searching for stuff on shuffling. I must say, I'm very impressed with everything! I just started trying out the shuffle and finding friends to shuffle with, cuz it can get a little sad shuffling by yourself. I've no dance experience (other than having many friends who do dance) but I did try to boogie with Canned Heat; Garry, you're right! It IS infectious Very Happy
devandre
devandre
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Tue 27 Jan 2009, 09:24

Hi devandre, welcome to MSO. I'm glad you gave Canned Heat a go. I used to play that same song live in bands around Melbourne in the 70's - I played blue harp (mouth organ). It was a classic boogie track all rock bands had to have in their set. It always got the crowd boppin along.

So congratulations you've just learnt a shuffle move. It's from the Rockin shuffling genre, there's more about Rockin and a shuffle practice music mix here...

http://melbourneshuffleoldskool.blogspot.com/2009/01/shuffle-music-practice-mix-2-rockin.html
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 29 Jan 2009, 01:35

Hellooooo Again Gary and everyone on these forums:)

I thought i would drop by and say that my shuffeling is coming on preety good to say i have to concentrate on all the dancing stuff back at the studio...

I've have even got half of the other teachers asking what im doing and know also trying it out for themselve's we have also had quite a remarkable amount of students asking if we can teach it but unfortunetly we have had to say its something we are working on and trying to get sorted for the future.

I have one question for you gary or de locke or anyone who can answer it with a good answer lol.....

One day at the studio we were on youtube looking at video's do learn of so to speak and notice'd a big difference in old skool shuffeling and the new stuff which i am currently trying to learn, but what would you recommend for me to learn as a begginer and for future prospects in teaching students this.

Thevideo's that bring this to mind for the new stuff is listed below, i will try and find the video's of the old skool part a little bit later because im trying to get a new routine ready at the minute lol.

Hope to hear from you soon

Kenny

This is a group of lads outside some shop i think called northlands.

This one is a crew's practice called HSK (HardStyle Krew i think.) Watch in HQ bottom right button on clip then HQ.

This one is a crew's other practice called HSK (HardStyle Krew i think.) Watch in HQ bottom right button on clip then HQ.

This one is a kid called Francis (i just like this one lol)
Kenny
Kenny
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Thu 29 Jan 2009, 13:27

Hi Kenny, Northlands is a big shopping mall in Melbourne.

Great to hear that you're getting interest from others about shuffling.

I'll give you detailed answer.

The new style of shuffling seen in most vids is generally called Hardstyle shuffling. Mainly because it began with people shuffling to Hardstyle music. European jump style was the most common way of dancing to hardstyle, then shuffling came along.

In December 2007, a dutch article appeared online pronouncing JUMP IS DEAD - GO SHUFFLE and they put a link thru to MSO. I was waiting for stacks of hate mail from jumpstylers, but it didn't happen. They realised you could still do jump and shuffle together both to hardstyle - so apart from a dented ego here and there, everything was ok.

http://melbourneshuffleoldskool.blogspot.com/2007/12/jump-is-dead-go-shuffle.html

If you look at the vid by the kid francis, you will see he's actually mostly doing the oldskool shuffle footwork, tho he probably doesn't realise it, but that's ok.

Note his right foot which does most of the classic shuffle move - that heel and toe swivel which moves you sideways. Then he throws in a few spins and running man steps.

The only real hardstyle element is the music and he's just physically going 'hard'.

You can see he gets tired really quickly after a minute or so because he's going hard at it. Oldskool shuffling done right, means you can shuffle for at least 30 minutes, and with regular 5 min breaks, oldskool shufflers could go all night 8 hours at a party.

All he needs to do is slow down a bit, instead of 140 bpm say 125-130 bpm. That gives your body time to metabolise better. Like the difference between a marathon runner and a sprint runner. Francis is a sprint shuffler.

The other consideration is that's all he does, he just repeats those few moves over and over and 3 minutes of that is more than plenty to watch.

This isn't a criticism of Francis, he's got a lot of talent, what he needs to do now is expand on those moves. Add some different arm work, add a leap or two, freeze every now and then, like popping and locking. Do a bit of fluiding when he gets tired to have a break, rather than just stand there with his shoulders hunched over as he catches his breath.

Just things to give some variety to his style and compliment his energy levels.

NEW MOVES
Some of the most interesting new moves are coming from Shuffle crews who do group routines.

Francis for instance is doing the standard solo hardstyle moves. It's the sort of thing you do by your self for fun. So for someone who's not interested in learning a lot of shuffling, just wants a few moves to show off at parties (or Party Tricks as we call them) or on a simple shuffle vid, this sort of hardstyle shuffling is all they need.

For people who want to go further, which sounds like you and the people you know, especially if they are already dancers, the crews will have the moves you're after.

You don't have to be in a crew to do the moves, you can do them solo. It's just that solo shuffle vids seem to be all the same hardstyle, just done in different locations, where as crews are really developing shuffle moves a lot these days, and the moves are worth learning.

Please give an acknowledgment credit to a crew you've learnt moves from if you ever do a vid, it's not just a respect thing, but also helps other shufflers know were to look for that style.

Check out the crew section on MSO for heaps of crew vids https://mso1.forumotion.com/official-shuffle-crew-register-f10/

The shuffle crew routines are very sophisticated. Firstly they are designed for stage work. They are not designed for just having a bit of fun as a solo dancer in your backyard. They are designed for large audiences to watch and entertain.

That's the major difference. Shuffling at home in friendly familiar surroundings in front of a camera is dead easy compared to shuffling on stage. At home you can keep re-recording your moves until you get them right. You can spend days doing it.

On stage you have 1 chance, infront of hundreds of other shufflers, who will know the moment you make a mistake. You have 3-5 mins to do it and there are no retakes or second chances. If you slip a little bit everyone sees it.

Now mulitply that by 4 or 8 shufflers all doing exactly the same moves in precise time with each other - AND most of the time you can't see the other shufflers. You don't look side ways unless it's part of the routine. It's a very difficult thing to do.

Crews practice these routines in front of huge wall sized mirrors, all school and professional dance studios have them. That way everyone can see everyone else, without lossing their position.

The mirror also gives you the veiw of the audience, so you can see how the routine appears.

Then all of you go on stage, absolutely terrified with nerves hoping you don't stuff up (- 1 person stuffing up, stuffs up the whole routine for everybody), but you're pumping hard with adrenalin, you've been practicing this for 8 hours a week for 3 months, and you just wanna get on with it - or run and hide, and usually both at the same time Laughing

It's a rush like nothing else and when you get it right, it's brilliant !! And you immediately want to do it all again, all the hard work all the stress and frustration, it's totally addictive. You have never felt so alive for those 5 mins on stage.

But some people are just not cut out for that sort of thing, being on stage in public and being judged and critisied by everyone in the audience, many who are envious and hope you break your ankle in the middle of the routine. It's all there, and it's a big ask.

I love being on stage and performing, I've been doing it since I was 10, and can't wait for the next project Very Happy

But you can learn a great deal from the crews moves. They go over and over them. They video their routines and sit around as a group nit picking to make it better.

They have to come up with new routines all the time. They know all the other crews are sitting around doing exactly the same thing. All wanting to blow each other away with their new moves at the next shuffle event.

That's how it was during the oldskool era. Every party was a chance to show off your new moves.

In a crowd of 1000 at an oldskool event, 800 were doing basic beginner classic shuffle steps, 100 were doing skilled basic steps (like Francis's level) and about 50 hardcore shufflers would be simply stunning the crowd with their moves. For those of you counting - the other 50 didn't dance Wink

Every month or so, someone would come up with some new moves, moves or a combination or sequence that nobody had seen before.

Usually it was by someone in the 50 hardcore shufflers, but sometimes it was an 'unknown'. The hardcore shufflers were underground celebrities. They had underground fashion designers paying them to wear their clothes, all the cool parties wanted them to attend and would offer free tickets and drinks etc, just to have them at their party.

It's not like they had big billboards with their face on it or where like DJ's with their face plastered over the flyers or on the cover of DJ mags. These were true underground shuffle hero's. It was all word of mouth and based on respect for their shuffling.

Sometimes one of these shuffle celebrities would burst out of the crowds with new moves. Moves they'd probably spent 3-6 months working on. And it would blow everyone away.

People would be talking about it for months afterwards, for a lucky few, people such as Francis would be still doing those same moves nearly 20 years later without even knowing it.

SOOOO.... Wink

1. Beginners.

If you want to just learn social shuffling for a bit of fun. Try the classic shuffle/hardstyle combination. They are simple easy to learn steps. Anyone from 8 years old up can do them, and do them well. You can be doing a passable running man in 5 minutes, the classic shuffle in an hour, and most people will be happy with that. It's the sort of thing you just get better at with practice.

2. Advanced

If you want to go further than social shuffling, crews, competitions, stagework etc, then it's worth spending the time to study oldskool shuffling in detail.

Set yourself a shuffle season say 3-6 months where you try new things all the time. Just to expand your style. Some of these things you may never use in your shuffle, but they will help you develop and strengthen your dancing.

Don't be too judgemental, just try things - in private of course. Try to learn from the moves, let the moves teach you what to do. After a few months of experimenting then work out what you'd like to keep doing or build on, to include in your style.

3. Pro

A real pro shuffler is someone who can create new shuffle moves. You can be 'sort of pro' like Francis and others who have copied shuffle moves and do them really well. But that's what we'd call skilled or proficient.

A real pro shuffler is not only skilled but creative. They create new moves, new routines, new styles. It's a high level achievement and there's probably no way you can get to that level in less than 1 year - for someone who already dances and doesn't need to build up their muscles like a beginner with no dance experience would.

The shuffle pro understands dance theory, they have a broad knowledge of dance styles both shuffle and other dance styles.

A beginner might get lucky and come up with a couple of new moves, but they usually don't know how to move on from there and develop further. That takes time and committment to learn dance.

In Melbourne, girls usually start recreational dance lessons from 6-8 years old. They will spend on average 3-5 years doing weekly 2 hour group dance classes with a teacher, and get involved in annual dance events. It's about the same as guys will do playing sports at that age.

By the time they are 12-14, they usually do something else, or decide to go further with dance/or sport, and then train with an advanced tutor to get into University.

Melbourne has all the major dance colleges of Australia, it's common for dancers around the country and the world to move to Melbourne to study dance. There's generally 400 applicants for 20 places. You have to audition to get in. The audition has a range set dance pieces you have to learn for the audition, plus your own work to show the panel of lecturers and teachers how creative you are.

It's like doing your final exam before you even start Uni !!

If you fail once, they generally don't give you a second chance. You'd only get a second chance if you were a bit young, maybe 16. They'd tell you to keep working and try again the next year. But if you were 20, they'd say you were too old.

3 hard uni years later out of those 20 successful applicants, only 2-4 will go onto a professional dance career, which if they are lucky will last until they are 25 - 30 years old.

If the dancers thought the Uni entry exam was tough, they quickly find that was the the easy part of pro dance. To get a touring role, for instance in a professional dance production like Riverdance, the selectors ran auditions all over the world looking for the worlds best. Many came from Melbourne and were the original oldskool shufflers. So they were competing against 1000's of other already brilliant Irish dancers, most who had been winning international level Irish dance competitions for years.

So that's one hell of a lot of training for a really brief pro career, that a hell of a lot of comittment from a 13 y/old to train for years, while still doing normal school work, and missing out on a lot of normal teenage social things, to do dance training work instead.

So when we say 'PRO' we really mean these sorts of people. They are the competition when you go for an audition or when you form a competition crew, or just put a shuffle vid online hoping for some good view stats.

They do it for the PASSION. all the way, all the years, there is nothing they'd be rather doing than dance. It's the same with all the arts and pro sports.

You do it because you love it, it's what you are, you are a Shuffler, you don't see a time when you won't shuffle, you just see your life ahead of you filled with the chance to shuffle.

THE SUMMARY

Shuffling can be a hobby, a profession, a career, or just something to do to amuse yourself for a bit while you're at highschool.

You can be any level you want, it's up to you (and your ability/talent in pro levels).

I've seen fully professional dancers, really stumble through Shuffling like a noob. Shuffling is a new style of dance. The more you work on it, the better you get at Shuffling.

So yes, someone who has just shuffled, and never done any other dance before, can still be a great shuffler. But expect it to take at least 1 year of daily practice.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by de locke Thu 29 Jan 2009, 20:55

Kenny wrote:Hellooooo Again Gary and everyone on these forums:)

I thought i would drop by and say that my shuffeling is coming on preety good to say i have to concentrate on all the dancing stuff back at the studio...

I've have even got half of the other teachers asking what im doing and know also trying it out for themselve's we have also had quite a remarkable amount of students asking if we can teach it but unfortunetly we have had to say its something we are working on and trying to get sorted for the future.

I have one question for you gary or de locke or anyone who can answer it with a good answer lol.....

One day at the studio we were on youtube looking at video's do learn of so to speak and notice'd a big difference in old skool shuffeling and the new stuff which i am currently trying to learn, but what would you recommend for me to learn as a begginer and for future prospects in teaching students this.

Thevideo's that bring this to mind for the new stuff is listed below, i will try and find the video's of the old skool part a little bit later because im trying to get a new routine ready at the minute lol.

Hope to hear from you soon

Kenny

This is a group of lads outside some shop i think called northlands.

This one is a crew's practice called HSK (HardStyle Krew i think.) Watch in HQ bottom right button on clip then HQ.

This one is a crew's other practice called HSK (HardStyle Krew i think.) Watch in HQ bottom right button on clip then HQ.

This one is a kid called Francis (i just like this one lol)

Hey Kenny, Garry's post will provide you with all the answers you need so I won't elaborate on that at all. Garry really is an Encyclepia of knowledge on shuffling and the original movement!

What I will say is that the classic oldskool shuffle moves, ie. the heel and toe movement is what I'd be teaching people. I personally believe that It's much more versatile and give you the freedom to create something amazing! Of course learning the hardstyle shuffle is fine but I think a combination of both would be most useful.

Smile
de locke
de locke
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by NZshufflaah Fri 30 Jan 2009, 08:49

Hi! Smile
I'm Holly, I'm 14 and i've just started shuffling to hardstyle about 2 days ago. I seem to lose my balance heaps when i'm doing the t-step. And I would like to go WAY faster.
Any suggestions to help me balance out and to go faster?
Is it also good to shuffle on cork tiles?
thanks.
Holly.
NZshufflaah
NZshufflaah
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri 30 Jan 2009, 11:45

Hi Holly welcome to MSO, you'll find info on balance and balance exercises here...

https://mso1.forumotion.com/tutorials-f1/where-do-i-start-t54-160.htm

Shuffling on Cork tiles ? Shouldn't be any problem if the tiles are coated with paint or clear gloss etc, so you don't rip up parts of the cork.

The cork would be a bit softer than concrete or wooden floors, so perhaps keep your stomping down a bit, so you don't put dents in the cork with your feet. But should be okay.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nephilim Fri 30 Jan 2009, 13:09

Hi~
I'm Juno, I'm 15 (yay) and I've been shuffling since the beginning of December.
I can TStep and Running Man pretty well now and can transition between them easily.
Are there any other steps? I've only seen the two I can do...
Nephilim
Nephilim
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri 30 Jan 2009, 14:27

Hey juno, welcome to MSO.

No worries try the advanced shuffle footwork post, that should get you going

http://melbourneshuffleoldskool.blogspot.com/2008/09/advanced-shuffle-footwork_24.html

And have a go at rockin in this new rockin shuffle exercise post

Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 06 Feb 2009, 02:22

thanks for the info Gary i dont think i could go profesional at this sort of dance maybe street dancing and hip but not sure about this yet lol.

i have got a creative mind because im the one who has to make a new routine but its alot to do with the group not just me if you know what i mean and my shuffeling has started to come on a long way now i've got the T-step sorted now and the running man into a 1 hop movement instead of 2 and i can transfer to and from each one preety good now so thats made me happy lol Razz.

Now i am trying to do the spin and make it look good instead of sloppy lol... i have also started to get used to doing the hand movements mainly for balance but it also adds a sence of style to it aswell Smile..

When we all get to about the same level i will make a video of each of us if you dont mind and basically would like you to pick up faults/criticise us in a way lol....

when we have got alot of the basic moves to like a movement of second nature i will sit down with all the people and we will work on a routine together and post it here if you dont mind just so people can rate us for how long we have been doing it?

Kenny
Kenny
Kenny
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Fri 06 Feb 2009, 18:49

Sounding good kenny, just keep practicing. Look forward to seeing a vid of you guys Very Happy

I'm getting a spin tutorial together for another advanced shuffle moves post, I'll let you know when it's done. But here's a good vid I've found with lots of slow motion jump spins that might be of help

Irish Dance Spins in Slow Motion
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by jamie-jeffrey Sat 07 Feb 2009, 12:29

hey,
started shuffling few days back and cant master the whole movements techniques could you please help me or try to explain it to me in a way that would make it easier .. Smile
thank you very much if you can help .. Smile

-- jamie
jamie-jeffrey
jamie-jeffrey
Junior Peer
Junior Peer

Back to top Go down

Post by de locke Sat 07 Feb 2009, 12:44

jamie-jeffrey wrote:hey,
started shuffling few days back and cant master the whole movements techniques could you please help me or try to explain it to me in a way that would make it easier .. Smile
thank you very much if you can help .. Smile

-- jamie

I think the best thing to do would be to read this entire thread. It's packed full with information and videos. Also check out BigMilans tutorial to learn the basic T step.
de locke
de locke
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by de locke Sat 07 Feb 2009, 12:45

Oh and I wouldn't expect to be able to master it in a few days!

It takes a lot of practice just like anything

Smile
de locke
de locke
Level 2
Level 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next