GLOBAL SHUFFLE FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle Poll test 1

2 posters

Go down

poll test 1

Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_lcap12%Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 6 ]
Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_lcap4%Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_lcap8%Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 4 ]
[ 2 ]
Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_lcap6%Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_lcap10%Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 5 ]
Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_lcap10%Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 5 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 3 ]
Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_lcap8%Battle Poll test 1 I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 4 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 51

Poll closed

Battle Poll test 1 Empty Battle Poll test 1

Post by Garry Wed 19 Jan 2011, 18:01

Poll test 1

Last edited by Garry on Sun 23 Jan 2011, 11:00; edited 1 time in total
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Name: Cyclone Garry
Ability:
Battle Poll test 1 Beginner8/10Battle Poll test 1 Empty_bar_bleue  (8/10)
Moves / Skills:

https://mso1.forumotion.com/t1298-garry-shepherd

Back to top Go down

Battle Poll test 1 Empty Re: Battle Poll test 1

Post by Garry Thu 20 Jan 2011, 13:46

feel free to add your votes to see how the system copes
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by IRONMAAN Thu 20 Jan 2011, 14:01

cool i like it
IRONMAAN
Level 4
Level 4

Battle Character
Name: [HSD]IRONMAAN
Ability:
Battle Poll test 1 Beginner9/15Battle Poll test 1 Empty_bar_bleue  (9/15)
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sat 22 Jan 2011, 17:14

yeah it's not bad. Can get some really sophisticated results, instead of just yes/no.

What we need to do now is define catergories for Battle and how to define a win.

Suggestions please...
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by IRONMAAN Sat 22 Jan 2011, 18:26

I think we should vote on style but the execution of the steps
IRONMAAN
Level 4
Level 4

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sun 23 Jan 2011, 09:43

I've activated the roleplay widget for the forum. Access it through your profile.

It will allow us to create battle characters if you want with different strengths, for instance great at spins or gliding etc.

The dice roll, I've made as 7 Shuffle Moves with a random button - Stomp, Shuffle, Spin, Glide, Running Man, Jump, Kick.

So for a battle you might roll the dice to set the sequence of the moves. So it could be a 2 step (2 rolls) - 7 step (7 rolls)

And vote on the results

I'm still going thru the preferences and trying to tweak the colors etc

I've just activated the Facebook App for the forum as well so you can connect direct with Facebook if you want

Last edited by Garry on Sun 23 Jan 2011, 10:35; edited 4 times in total
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sun 23 Jan 2011, 10:10

So how about an editing section of the battle as well, where editors can do a remix of the battle vids, and vote on the edit ?
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Sun 23 Jan 2011, 14:46

OOppps affraid was off the air for a few mins fiddling, but we're back now, sorry folks
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by IRONMAAN Sun 23 Jan 2011, 20:36

hahaha
IRONMAAN
Level 4
Level 4

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Mon 24 Jan 2011, 22:01

Quote from chickenhide/kore

I kinda wanna remove
this because I don't
see why we should
have "ability" rankings
determining how good
each one of us is...

Kore why are you here in the battle section ?

I've removed your battle character since you don't want to battle anymore, which I suspect is because you lost round one. So suck it up man get better or quit, your choice.

This battling section is for competitive shuffling only, you enter it with your eyes open. This is to determine exactly how good you are against a standard set of rules, as is every competitive activity from the Olympic games to computer games.

If you can't tough out competitive shuffling stick to social shuffling. It's not fair on those who commit to the rules and the contest, you just waste others time and effort.

You are mistaken, Dance is an ability, that's something dancers and dance lovers hold with pride. You don't dance by sitting around on your bum all day, you can get away with that as a DJ, but you have to make an effort, a lot of effort to dance and there is nothing wrong with having a standard to measure yourself by, to see how you are progressing.

If you want a general yes or no stick with your Youtube ratings. But here in a proshuffle forum, we look at dance from a pro perspective, because that's what people who employ dancers look for, which is the whole point of 'pro', it's a job mate, it's the business end of the stick.

It doesn't mean you have to want a dance career, you may just want to dance at that level for personal achievement. But many do want a professional dance career and MSO Forum is for their help to achieve that.

You are welcome here, but you are not welcome to question the life choices of others to stroke your own bruised ego...ever !
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Mon 24 Jan 2011, 23:07

I'm getting some tech support from the forum makers about the background to the moves/skills box, they'll make a fix patch to change the color in the CSS. Unless members would like me to stuff around with trial and error in the CSS code until I get it right,...if I don't erase the entire board in the process Wink
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by IRONMAAN Tue 25 Jan 2011, 06:46

Garry wrote:
I've removed your battle character since you don't want to battle anymore, which I suspect is because you lost round one.
We can never really lose i see it as gaining new experience is that weird
IRONMAAN
Level 4
Level 4

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by IRONMAAN Tue 25 Jan 2011, 06:46

Hahaha Garry lets try not to erase everything
IRONMAAN
Level 4
Level 4

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Tue 25 Jan 2011, 10:00

[HSD]IRONMAAN wrote:
Garry wrote:
I've removed your battle character since you don't want to battle anymore, which I suspect is because you lost round one.
We can never really lose i see it as gaining new experience is that weird

Oh yeah, you do lose, that is the inevitable outcome of competition, and the whole point of voting, to determine the winner of the contest.

What we do is try to make the contest as fair as possible. For instance both have the same rules, you both have to finish the course or set tasks like run the mile, fight 9 rounds etc, and you agree to those terms when you begin.

This is public voting, this is not a panel of experts, celebrities or TV hosts. This is a public site and even guests can vote.

So you expose yourself to public examination, about everything in the vid, the lighting the location, your clothes, your hair, your shoes, what hoodie you wear, your choice of music, how long you shuffle - for instance just shuffling longer does not make it better, it just repeats what you've done and can get boring real quick.

Whether you like it of not that's how people judge you and they say 'winner' or 'looser'. The public has a right to think as it wants and make up it's own mind and vote. You have to face that every time you post a vid, so it's a reality you need to get used to very quickly. I had to face that every time I went on stage, so does any live musician or performer, you take the risk because when the crowds on your side, it's a buzz to live for.

Ask yourself these questions...
Are the public right in their decision ? Maybe they're stating the bleeding obvious and the shuffler is just in denial.

You have to develop your own sense of worth, seperate from the publics. You need to take their views into account, but how you deal with loss is more important than how you deal with winning. Because most normal people will experience more losses than wins,

Is your life over because you loose one round ? If yes, then it's probably a good thing you stop there, because it just gets tougher from here on, not easier. And the higher you climb the more there are trying to knock you off the high perch so they can enjoy it for a while.

So use your loss, call it a loss, feel the pain, carry the scars and get better. Remember how bad it feels to be publically declared the Looser, when you thought you could win.

But you're right, it's not so much a loss but an opportunity for you to advance.

You need to be your own worst critic. You know your faults and you know when you fudge a moves and hope nobody notices. Instead of covering them up, fix them, work at it.

So here is the place to toughen up your hide. We firstly get rid of annoying little twats who just want to spoil your chances. Throw you off focus in the middle of a battle with petty squabbles. To give you a chance to grow and improve. Those prats are still waiting for you by the busload with their negative votes and will often topple your win out of envy.

But that's the game guys, it's hard and it's always a battle and you can always lose. So let that risk of failure keep you grounded after a win.

It's more than just shuffling, you are performing as an artist.

If you can't take public responses to your dancing, then don't dance in public. Stay private and definitely stay away from competitive shuffling

Not everybody is cut out for the pressures of competitive arts. It can be soul destroying, that's why we look at ability. Can you hack it ? Because if you can't we'll remove you from the competition to protect you from any more harm, for your own sake, and the competition.

A competitor shouldn't feel like they have to hold back to spare another competitors feelings. You should be seeing how far you can fly.
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Tue 25 Jan 2011, 12:31

[HSD]IRONMAAN wrote:I think we should vote on style but the execution of the steps

Yep we can break them up.

Firstly we must remember that dance is an art form, and gets judged as such.

So with art you look at the technical ability, such as the execution of the steps, or how well you edit or dance with the music, or even write the dance music.

But many people can learn and perform technically brilliant works, but they often lack passion. Because there is so much focus on the technique and the overall performance falls flat.

So this is not to drop focus on technique, you must maintain that daily throughout your active career to stay at peak performance level.

What you must do is add extra burdens to your dance training and begin to look at the overall performance from opening credits to fade to black. This is the choreography aspect of shuffling. Of course if you love choreography it's an opportunity, but also quite a burden with many responsibilities.

Steps are like words. When we're kids we just imitate them but after a bit we understand their meaning and can use them in a meaningful way in a sentence.

Most shuffle vids online today are words without a sentence. They are articulated very well, but the overall meaning is absent, it 'says nothing'.

So remember your audience also includes experienced dancers who understand this stuff and look for it in dancers, to see if they understand and they look to see what you do with the knowledge.

Are you just having a boogie on the dance floor or are you saying more ? Is there depth to your art.

So technique would definitely be a must, so too choreography, does the sum of your moves say anything, or are they just well executed exercises ?

Style becomes a personal thing. It's your choice of moves and their arrangement. It also allows the voters more freedom in their decision, because liking or not liking a style is a very complex thing.

technique and choreography can be regimented pretty well - choreography while a creative based discipline also has to work within many fixed parameters such as time. You get 1.5 mins to impress us with your shuffling in the typical shuffle vid. How well do you make a work to suit that limitation etc.

Style can be influenced culturally, like whats considered cool or fashionable in your area. But style can be also be a response to genetic make up and DNA. Like not having much choice who you fall in love with, your hormones take over, you can control them to a point but that's about it.

Why do you like it ? I dunno I just like it. Or it can be a negative response because of the color Yellow...I dunno, I just don't like Yellow. Style gives us plenty of room to have quite wildly varying opinions and all be correct.

Style is a really nebulous thing and delves deep into a persons being. Style is what makes you look good, and when style is done with great technique, you have a winner.

Like think of that vid with Bob Hope and James Cagney, both faultless with their skills. I'm still amazed at how seriously good they were in technique, and then they add style, each an individual with complex and sophisticated expression and it just ignites, so glad they had the camera rolling to capture it Smile
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by IRONMAAN Tue 25 Jan 2011, 20:42

Hmmm this speaks to me and is says i need to shuffle with a purpose
IRONMAAN
Level 4
Level 4

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 26 Jan 2011, 19:25

What that purpose is, of course is up to you to find out, but just thinking about it means you've already started. You'll find there are short and long term objectives based around your opportunities and life stage you are in.

Opportunities, good opportunities that is, are rare. You grab them with both hands when they come along and enjoy every moment of it.

This is a good reason to figure out your purpose as soon as you can, so you can spot good opportunities. It can be done with a broad brush to start with, just to get yourself moving, then expect to refine or even change direction completely as you work through these things.

Last edited by Garry on Wed 26 Jan 2011, 19:30; edited 1 time in total
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Garry Wed 26 Jan 2011, 19:27

...one of the weirdest poll testing discussions I can remember, I was about to quote City Slickers there for a moment , but lets keep going Laughing
Garry
Garry
Admin

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by IRONMAAN Thu 27 Jan 2011, 07:05

hahahaha
IRONMAAN
Level 4
Level 4

Battle Character
Ability:
Moves / Skills:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down